Friday, April 6, 2012

Pumpkin Waffles

I love pumpkin. Not only because its so yummy. but because it is so good for you- its low in calories, fat free, and filled with vitamin a and nutrients. I happened across a recipe for pumpkin waffles on the Smitten Kitchen blog. I had a quick browse around her blog and it is filled with amazing recipes!! I was drooling at my office desk! I have been a vegetarian for 8 years and have just recently began eating vegan whenever possible. I have found tons of great recipes for vegan baking, pancakes, and entrees, this pumpkin waffle recipe, however, was not vegan. I wanted to make it so bad, becuase it sound just too yummy to pass up. so I adapted it a bit to make it vegan.

The Smitten Kitten recipe can be found here. I higly recomend checking out all her recipes, and if your in the mood for some non-vegan waffles, follow her recipe.



If your vegan, or moving towards becoming vegan, try out this slightly adapted recipe below:

1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 & 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinmon*
1 teaspoon ground ginger*
1 teaspon allspice*
4 flax eggs**
2 cups vegan buttermilk***
6 tablespoons vegan butter
1 cup pumpkin

1. Preheat waffle griddle.
2. Mix together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinammon, ginger, and all spice.Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk togther flax eggs, buttermilk, butter, and pumpkin. Incorporate the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
4. Spray the waffle griddle very well with cooking spray. Scoop waffle batter onto the griddle- about 1-2 cups. Cook accordingly.



* You can replace all the spices with pumpkin spice if you have it on hand
** To make one flax egg: mix 1 tablesppon of ground flax with 3 tablespoons of water.Whisk and let sit for a few moment.s For 4 flax eggs, mix 4 tablespoons of ground flax with 12 tablespoons of water.
*** To make one cup of vegan buttermilk mix 1 cup soy milk ( i used almond) with 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice, whisk until combined and frothy/creamy looking.

Im not sure how much my adapted recipe tastes like the Smitten Kitchen one... but they were quite yummy, so I'm going to say they are quite close! Remember to check out the Smitten Kitchen for some really great recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment